Thursday, May 6, 2010

Letting Go

When dealing with mold issues, I would imagine that most people get to the point where they say "enough is enough." If you've never gone through an experience like ours then you might have a more difficult time understanding. It feels like I have an instant bond with people I meet who have also gone through the same nightmare that our family has endured for the past two years. If you're a fan of Anne of Green Gables, you would know what I mean when I say that I would call these people my "kindred spirits."

Now here we are, at the point where we have decided that we can't do this anymore. I have been fighting a legal battle for more than two years and all I really have to show for it is two years of me looking back wondering where the time has gone. This experience has been a huge learning experience, but definitely one that I would have preferred not to learn.

Anyway, I am tired.

Our entire family desperately needs to heal. We need to get over the loss of our home, our finances, and our time. Praise the Lord that we don't have any major lingering health issues, although there are still some minor issues in need of healing.

We have finally come to terms with the fact that not every house can be remediated. That day of reckoning was a disappointing one for me. It was after the remediator told us that soda blasting would remove the moldy smell. Well, it didn't. Maybe I am just more sensitive to mold than other people and will always be able to tell when I am in a contaminated environment. But none of that matters. I am giving up the battle. My gut feeling is that our house is sick and we have to let it go. Trust me, this could probably go on for another year or two, but life is too short to waste on a moldy house.

Not only will mold invade your home, but it can ruin your health and your finances. It can also consume your thoughts to the point that learning new things about mold is almost like a horrible addiction. Mold takes time and energy away from the things that matter most.

It's no wonder that God warns us of mold in Leviticus 14. After the remediator told me that he did not believe that some houses can never be remediated (I guess he thinks every house can be fixed), another wise person reminded me of Leviticus 14. Sometimes a house is still unclean no matter what you do. Sometimes you just have to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment