Monday, May 17, 2010

Treasures in Heaven

Today the boys were reminiscing about gifts that people had given them when their little sister was born. They remembered that my dad and his wife had given A4 and B2 a couple of really cute stuffed animals. My mother-in-law had given A4 a pair of Spiderman slippers. Of course, when you have mold contamination stuffed animals and slippers are completely unsalvageable, so they were among the first of our possessions to go when we started going through the things from our house. At least knowing for sure that you can't keep something makes the decision about whether or not to part with a particular item that much easier. But it still isn't easy. It's truly pathetic when I think of the possessions I have accumulated over the years and the money we have spent on things that ended up in a dumpster because of mold: books, furniture, televisions, mattresses and pillows, couches, stuffed animals, household items, anything made of paper and even some plastic items. There are of course some things that can be salvaged. Glass is relatively easy to clean as well as plastic items (although I have smelled mold on several of our plastic items as well which instantly places them in the "trash" box). But then I start thinking of all the work it will take just to salvage a few glass or plastic items that I probably never really used to begin with and that I have been doing fine without for the past year, and the more I think about it the less those items mean to me. I just want a fresh start with less possessions and less things to consume my time, energy, and space.

As we were driving home and talking, A4 asked if there will be toys in heaven. I told him that he won't need anything in heaven, as God is all he will need. But anyway, that reminded me of this Bible verse. I couldn't remember it exactly so I had to look it up when I got home. But we did have a nice little discussion about the many things that can destroy our "treasures" here on earth. Mold obviously destroyed our house and almost all of the things that we owned. I asked the boys what kind of things can be destroyed by rust and we came up with cars. We talked about how K's suit got a moth hole in the shoulder which pretty much made it unwearable. I remember when we discovered the hole in that suit. We were really annoyed that now K would need to buy another suit jacket if he ever had an occasion where he would need to wear that suit. Maybe instead of being annoyed we should have been thankful that God sent us a gentle reminder of how a little moth can destroy an expensive suit. Maybe someday I will even be able to thank God for allowing our house and all of our belongings to become contaminated with mold so we could learn not to place our value in worldly possessions. It's still a hard pill to swallow, but as time goes on I am slowly seeing the blessings that come from this situation.

Matthew 6:19-21

Treasures in Heaven

19 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments:

Post a Comment